Monday, June 23

Pesky Aiptasia and Libby

First things first- I am trying a new method to get rid of all that freaking aiptasia that has multiplied overnight as well as some red bubble algae. I saw one of my sun corals had an aiptasia attached - there's not much I can do about that, as any chemical treatment will likely kill off the coral as well. I can't use a peppermint shrimp because my strawberry dottyback will eat it. I'm not interested in trying to keep berghia alive since the dottyback will probably kill them too.

So, I opted for total darkness. For at least one week, there'll be no lights on in the tank. I'll reevaluate the situation then. None of the corals in there need light to live, the only things that'll suffer will be the aiptasia, algae, and my live rock, unfortunately. I've been battling it for a year and a half, but it has recently gotten waaay out of control.

Libby is my parents' dog, and she's staying with us for a week or so while her parents go on vacation. When I went to get her, I let her out first since it had been about 7 hours since she was last out, and she peeked off the deck... the next door neighbor's five german shepherds all started barking and snarling, and she raced back into the house. Poor dog! She can't even piddle in her own backyard. :( I hate people who take no responsibility for their pets.

Libby has stayed with us before, but for some reason this time my SO's dogs are being pretty unfriendly about it. I know they'll settle down eventually but Libby is very attached to my dad and is stressed enough without them adding to it!

No comments: